Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Tour De Cure Deadline

The bike ride is this Saturday. I have been guilted into riding the 100K. I don't know if I am in good enough shape but I have decided to dedicate the effort to Olivia. I talk alot about the work and perseverance (my favorite type 1 descriptor) that Olivia must learn so I feel the need to lead by example.

Our team total stands at 9989 dollars this A.M. I have little doubt that we will eclipse 10000. With a little work over the next couple of days we could make 12000. I know my competitive side is coming out but I think this team is awesome. 12ooo dollars to go to the ADA is phenomenal. And I am just the average guy who decided to step up. I saw Brad Pitt on tv last night and he was talking about just that. The need for everyone to step up and make a difference. He talked about how the poor of the world don't chose poverty and anyone of us could have been born in a poverty stricken region. Same goes for diabetes. We didn't choose to have a diabetic daughter but we got one and that is our calling to make a difference. My team definitely will make a difference. Wish us well.

Don't forget, you can still donate online at tour.diabetes.org. Chose sponsor a rider in the right banner, select Pennsylvania and then Boiling Springs, and then type Team Olivia in the team name category, after that you can click on my name and it will give you directions on how to donate. My final pitch ;)

5 Comments:

Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Jeff, we leave town on Saturday and won't be back til late next week-- so I won't get to hear about your ride until then.

Good luck. You're doing a wonderful thing for your daughter-- and all of the others who struggle daily with this disease.

Take care, and ride safe...
Sandra

2:58 PM  
Blogger Martha O'Connor said...

Hi Jeff,
Wanted to say hi. My son has had T1D since July 2004.

Are you riding in Asheville later this year as well? October I think? My sister and her boyfriend are doing that ride.

I admire you very much! Take care, Martha

5:00 PM  
Blogger type1dad said...

Thank you both for your support. Won't be in Asheville. This is a once a year for me. The fundraising is exhausting. We do intend to do some more volunteering for the ADA though. People are starting to avoid me because they know I'm goin to ask for money. Today the coordinator of the ride asked my wife what kind of prize she wanted and she said, "a cure would be nice." Hopefully it is all worth it.

Be Well,
Jeff

6:28 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

Woo hoo, Jeff! Go go go! I'm in awe.

Everyone should have a dad like you.

3:21 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

May the force be with you :)

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home