Sunday, June 12, 2005

Of Cuts and Scrapes, Tears, and Team Olivia

Well, The Tour is over and not without price. While soaring down a mountain that I had just toiled to top of with Crazy and Sonic, a fearless wasp zoomed into my path and stung me on the bottom lip. In the panic that ensued I wrecked my bike and Sonic couldn't stop fast enough and he wrecked too. Both of us were pretty bloodied. The thought went through my mind that my Tour was over. This was at mile 23. 42 to go. We decided to try and make it to the next rest stop and get medical attention before making any decisions. You know the thoughts that went through my mind: Olivia, the Team, the lessons learned from persevering. It wasn't really a hard decision to continue. The weather was hot and humid. And being pretty slow, by the time we got to some rest stops they were out of gatorade and water. Through the last about ten miles I started to get emotional. Dedicating each mile to a year that Olivia would have to live with diabetes. At one point Crazy said, "remember why we are doing this." and the tears started to fall. I fought them back but every once in a while the emotions would surge over me and I would be fighting back tears again. As we neared the finish line-exhausted and bloodied-I could see the line of black and gold Team Olivia Tshirts lining the finish line and I could no longer hold back the tears. My kids, my mom and dad, the team who had supported us and raised an ungodly amount of money - at least 14,000 dollars - all waiting. I was especially touched by the people that waited several hours for us even though they didn't really know me or Olivia until this Team Olivia thing took off. It was a hugely emotional moment.

So to Team Olivia, thanks and we'll see you next year.

5 Comments:

Blogger Violet said...

Well, be assured that you aren't the only one who shed tears over your effort. I am full of awe at your perseverance and dedication to your girl.

Thanks for undertaking the Tour and for sharing it with all of us.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I'm crying too. You're daughter has a terrific role model to look up to. Your dedication and perseverence will definitely rub off on her.

Now I'm psyched to do my ride. I just hope I don't have some crazy wasp flying in my face.

Congratulations on a job well done!!!! Bravo.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Martha O'Connor said...

This is a beautiful post. You are doing so much for your daughter, and all our kids. Thank you. Martha

8:57 PM  
Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Jeff,

Well done! You should be very proud of your efforts-- the ride, the adversity you faced DURING the ride, and most importantly, the example of perseverance you've set for your daughter... for all of us.

Thank you.

Sandra

11:52 AM  
Blogger Kerri. said...

Jeff,

Please don't stop posting now that the Ride is over. We need your voice.

(And my mom thanks you, too.)

Kerri.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home